Fabric.com Privacy Notice
Last Updated: April 29, 2011. To see what's changed, click here.
What Personal Information About Customers Does Fabric.com Gather?
The information we learn from customers helps us personalize and continually improve your shopping experience at Fabric.com. Here are the types of information we gather.
- Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our website or give us in any other way. Click here to see examples of what we collect. You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customizing future shopping for you, improving our store, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we use "cookies," and we obtain certain types of information when your web browser accesses Fabric.com or advertisements and other content served by or on behalf of Fabric.com on other websites. Click here to see examples of the information we receive.
- E-mail Communications: To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we may receive a confirmation when you open e-mail from Fabric.com if your computer supports such capabilities. We may also compare our customer list to lists received from other companies, in an effort to avoid sending unnecessary messages to our customers. If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your Email Preferences.
- Information from Other Sources: We might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information. Click here to see examples of the
information we receive.
What About Cookies?
- Cookies are alphanumeric identifiers that we transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser. Among other things, they enable our systems to recognize your browser to provide personalized advertisements on our website and other websites and allow storage of items in your Shopping Cart between visits.
Does Fabric.com Share the Information It Receives?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. We may share customer information only as described below and with our parent corporation, Amazon.com Inc., and the subsidiaries it controls.
- Affiliated Businesses We Do Not Control: We work closely with our affiliated businesses. In some cases, we may include offerings directly from those businesses on Fabric.com. In other cases, we may include joint offerings from Fabric.com and these businesses on Fabric.com . You can tell when a third party is involved in the offering, and we share customer information related to those offerings with that business.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing assistance, processing credit card payments, and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use it for other purposes.
- Promotional Offers: Sometimes we send offers to selected groups of Fabric.com customers on behalf of other businesses. When we do this, we do not give that business your name and address. If you do not want to receive such offers, please adjust yourEmail Preferences.
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy stores, subsidiaries, or business units. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise). Also, in the event that Fabric.com, Inc., or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of Fabric.com and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply our agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of Fabric.com, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction. Obviously, however, this does not include selling, renting, sharing, or otherwise disclosing personally identifiable information from customers for commercial purposes in violation of the commitments set forth in this Privacy Notice.
- With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We work to protect the security of your information during transmission by using Secure Socket layer (SSL) Software, which encrypts information you input.
- We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, the appropriate credit card company will need to receive your entire credit card number for processing.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
What About Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites?
Our site may include third-party advertising and links to other websites. We do not provide any personally identifiable customer information to these advertisers or third-party websites.
Fabric.com also may display personalized third-party advertising based on personal information about customers, such as purchases on Fabric.com, visits to Amazon Associate websites, or use of payment services like Checkout by Amazon on other websites. Click here for more information about the personal information that we gather. Although Fabric.com does not provide any personal information to advertisers, advertisers (including ad-serving companies) may assume that users who interact with or click on a personalized advertisement meet their criteria to personalize the ad (for example, users in the southern United States who bought or browsed for red gingham fabric).
Which Information Can I Access?
Fabric.com gives you access to a broad range of information about your account and your interactions with Fabric.com for the limited purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information. Click here to see some examples, the list of which will change as our website evolves.
What Choices Do I Have?
- You can add or update certain information on pages such as those referenced in the "Which Information Can I Access" section.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your Email Preferences.
Are Children Allowed to Use Fabric.com?
Fabric.com does not sell products for purchase by children. If you are under 18, you may use Fabric.com only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
Notices and Revisions
If you choose to visit Fabric.com, your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Notice. If you have any concern about privacy at Fabric.com, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a thorough description, and we will try to resolve it. Our business changes constantly and our Privacy Notice will change also. We may e-mail periodic reminders of our notices, but you should check our website frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of customer information collected in the past without the consent of affected customers.
Information You Give Us
You provide most such information when you register as a customer, search, buy, participate in a contest or questionnaire, or communicate with customer service. For example, you provide information when you search for a product; place an order through Fabric.com; provide information in My Account (and you might have more than one if you have used more than one e-mail address when shopping with us); communicate with us by phone, e-mail, or otherwise; complete a questionnaire or a contest entry form. As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as your name, address, and phone numbers; credit card information; and people to whom purchases have been shipped, including addresses and phone numbers.
Information from Other Sources
Examples of information we receive from other sources include updated delivery and address information from our carriers or other third parties, which we use to correct our records and deliver your next purchase or communication more easily.
Information You Can Access
Examples of information you can access easily at Fabric.com include up-to-date information regarding recent orders; personally identifiable information (including profile and address book – available to registered customers only); payment settings (including credit card information and coupons); e-mail preferences; and sewing preferences.