Looking for a mini quilt with the perfect pop of color? Look no further than this easy applique color wheel mini quilt! Today we'll show you how to sew up this project step by step.
This delightful mini quilt features a bright rainbow of colors to spruce up your sewing space and serve as a great sewing and quilting reference! We used a rainbow fat quarter bundle and a pie ruler for this easy spin on a classic Dresden plate block. This fun wall hanging will look great in our sewing space next to our Kona Color Chart Quilt Kona Color Chart! This ruler is a great addition to your ruler library – You can make classic Dresden flowers and pies like this one.
Let's get started!
Fabrics & Supplies:
- Quilting Cotton Solids in a rainbow of colors – We used this Kona Cotton Elizabeth Hartman rainbow fat quarter bundle but you can use any Kona Cotton solids or quilting cotton prints in saturated hues. You will need 16 pieces to make one color wheel.
- Pie Ruler (Dresden ruler)
- Thread for piecing and quilting (for piecing we chose this thread and for quilting we used this thread and this thread by Cotton + Steel and Sulky)
- Kona Cotton Snow for Background
- Any Kona color for backing
- Binding fabric (we used Riley Blake 1/4" Stripes Gray)
- Hand sewing supplies (needles, thimble, thread wax)
- (16) rainbow colors with your pie ruler Measure from the 1.5” line- accuracy is very important here!
- (1) Kona Snow “square” and one backing “square” measuring 24” square
- (3) 2.5” strips from your binding fabric
Lay out your colors in ROYGBIV + grey format. You might want to take a picture to reference later if you use your own color combinations!
Sew your slices in pairs. An accurate ¼” seam is very important for a non-wonky color wheel!
If you keep your lighter color always on top you should avoid sewing them on the wrong side!
Sew pairs together to form four groups of four...
Then two groups of 8...
Then a whole plate!
Easy as pie!
Press seams open on the back very carefully and with lots of starch to avoid warping your circle.
Then turn your edges under ¼” in the middle and outsides. Press very well.
Center your color wheel on the kona snow fabric and baste with pins or basting spray. Applique to the background fabric with a simple straight stitch or any applique stitch.
I used the white piecing thread, but you could use any thread. Grey blends really well for things like this.
Baste your quilt in your usual method, and quilt as desired. We hand-quilted with various cotton and steel threads in every-other slice in a radiating pattern. Bind as desired.
Check out the hand quilting tutorial below to finish your quilt!