By: Elizabeth Rasmusson
After discovering National Geographic books this summer, we’ve been on an unusual animal kick, so I wasn’t surprised at all that my son wanted to be a narwhal for Halloween. Then he requested that he have a matching costume for our dog and stuffie. I decided not to be left out of the Halloween fun and made a Narwhal hoodie for myself too.
I went with three different patterns, Simplicity 1765 for my seven year old son, Pitbull Jenny, and his favorite. stuffed animal. For the adult hood I used Simplicity H0211.
Originally I had planned to make the entire patterns for myself, but I have been attempting to be more sustainable in my clothing. I decided to make a wrap shirt that I would wear all the time out of the same fabric and just the hoodie portion for Halloween.
I used this free pattern from Peppermint Magazine to make the wrap top for myself.
First I traced all the pattern pieces in each of our sizes. This can add an extra step to the process, but I always do this with my patterns. It ensures that they are all intact as they originally arrived and it allows me to sew other sizes in the future. Any type of tracing paper will do (and I’ve also used freezer paper before too).
For the body of the costume the patterns recommended a fleece. However, this sounded very hot to me for October in Georgia. I decided to use Kaufman Brussels Washer Linen blend in the color Denim.
I followed the pattern directions verbatim including basting in my zipper! I am always tempted to skip basting to save time, but also regret it when I have to go back and redo my zipper or sleeves!
I loved this fabric but it a loose weave and raveled quite a bit. I decided that it really needed to be serged or overlocked, especially since my son and dog are pretty rough on anything they come into contact with!
The pattern originally called for 3 horns for the triceratops, but I only cut the middle horn out – since narwhals only have one amazing tusk!
I also used the same size horn for all of us! I thought about sizing it up for myself, but it actually ended up being a good size. Here I am using my son’s doll as a model because I didn’t want to interrupt virtual second grade to test the tusk placement out.
Jenny, our rescued pitbull was very patient with her costume fittings too. I made a size Large for her. If I were to make this pattern again. I would do an XL for her head and a Large for her body. Pit bulls have larger block heads that I didn’t think about beforehand!
I also wanted to add fins to the costumes to make them feel more aquatic. I gathered a 5” x 15” rectangle and added it into the side seams of my son and dog’s costumes. I used the same pattern for my son’s stuffed animal as I did for our dog. Only I traced out the size medium for the stuffie.
Instead of sewing the head darts. I left them open for the stuffed animals large ears, which required me to hand sew parts of the hood together. I really couldn’t have been happier with the way these turned out! My son is thrilled and our dog is somewhat patiently accepting it!